tips to prepare a good coffee at home.
1- Without a good coffee bean you can never get a great coffee
- Arabic coffee is always better than Robusta coffee.
- A freshly toasted coffee is better than the one which has been toasted days ago.
- Coffee beans rather than ground coffee.
2- It is important to ground coffee before to cook it.
Its composition is complex; coffee freshly ground contains more compounds than wine, but they get quickly damaged when it is exposed to oxygen.
3- Preserving coffee
4- Using high quality tools.
You may use porcelain coffee cups or materials with similar features, as well.
- It should be used a non porous material where, once rinses; no previous remains, smells or liquids are kept.
- Coffee cup´s concave shape, allows getting a high quality espresso coffee. In coffee shops they use to be thicker in order to whistand the given use. Other reasons to choose this coffee cups are that its thickness keeps the coffee temperature for a long time and it can be hold using its handle without burn ourselves.
- If coffee cups are in a moderate temperature before serving coffee all features from a good coffee will be kept. Plastic is not the best option to enjoy a fantastic coffee but it can kept it hot when we choose enjoy it at work.
- In our houses we can use thinner and slender coffee cups.
5- You should use an adequate proportion between coffee and water.
6- You should follow the manufacturer´s instructions.
Independently of the used coffee machine it is a big idea to follow manufacturer´s instructions.
7- Mill´s size
- According to the different coffee machines we may say:
- Espresso and italians coffee machines required a thinner mill.
- Drip and filter machines needs a medium mill and piston coffee machines (those where coffee is prepared as a normal infusion) needs a thickener mill.
8- Water temperature needed for a good coffee.
The perfect temperature when water touches coffee is between 92ºC and 96ºC.
In Espresso machines this is achieved placing cups on the machine.
It would be great to preheat cups and Chemex coffee machines using hot water before serving coffee. This water must be the same used for making coffee.